Tuesday, 20 March 2012

Cod with Leeks - Lunch from Sweden

As Oscar still won’t eat much meat, I have been trying more fish dishes recently.  Last week we had salmon cooked with tomatoes and onions, all mushed up with cream cheese and served with pasta. It went down well, so feeling triumphant I took another step and tried cod, which also met with great success!


Cod with Leeks served with rice


This recipe actually comes from my University days… a scarily long time ago.  In my 3rd year I lived with three other girls - a Korean girl called Sophie, a Welsh girl called Sarah and a Swedish girl called Rebecca.   We all loved good food and would often cook our favourite dishes for each other.  This recipe is one of Rebecca’s and, even though she cooked it for me more years ago than I care to remember, I still love it.


This made enough for both Oscar and I for lunch.  He had his with pasta and I had mine with rice.

1 large, skinless piece cod fillet (ours was about 250g)
2 leeks, sliced
50ml white wine (or 1 tbsp white wine vinegar)
150ml vegetable or fish stock
1 small carton crème fraiche (approx. 200g)
olive oil

You will need a saucepan with a lid.

1. Fry the leeks gently in a little olive oil for 3-4 minutes.

2. Add the white wine and let it bubble for a minute or so to cook off the alcohol.  I didn’t have any white wine open so I used a generous tablespoon of white wine vinegar and it still tasted yummy. 

3. Add the fish, pour in the stock and put the lid on the pan.  Cook for about 5-6 minutes or until the fish is cooked through. 

4. Once the fish is cooked, remove it from the sauce and put it to one side.   Then stir the crème fraiche into the sauce and take it off the heat.  (At this point I blended half the sauce and mixed it back in to make sure Oscar didn’t pick out all the leeks).

4. Flake the fish, checking for bones.  Mix the fish back into the sauce and serve over rice or pasta.

Oscar really surprised me by gobbling this down with no fuss at all.  He left some of the larger flakes of fish but overall this was a really successful lunch.  Oscar’s Lunch score – 4/5.  

You could definitely use this recipe with any white fish, and I’m going to try it with Pollock next time.  I’m sure it would work with salmon too.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...