Tuesday, 24 January 2012

Cheese & Onion Baked Potatoes


I first tried these when I was about 10 years old on a family trip to Aviemore in Scotland.  We stayed in a lovely hotel which had a family restaurant called the ‘Potato Train.’ The tables were in little booths made to look like the carriages of a train and I loved it!  It served all kinds of amazing baked potato creations and these were my absolute favourites.  



The idea is to bake a potato then scoop out the middle, mash it with all kinds of yummy things and pop it back into the skin – genius and just a little bit addictive.  Over the next few years my lovely Mum spent countless evenings scooping out potatoes from their skins to satisfy my cravings.   

I would absolutely love to make these for Oscar, but I’m afraid this blog post is a complete and utter cheat as he still flatly refuses to eat any kind of potato, even chips!  I wanted to post this recipe as I really think they are a great idea for any potato-eating kids, so cheat I must.  They are perfect for grown-ups too - Nick and I had ours with steak - YUM.

This will serve 2.

2 baking potatoes
1 large onion, finely chopped
olive oil
4 tbsp crème fraiche
2 big handfuls grated cheddar cheese
Splash of milk

Heat the oven to 180°c

1. Wash and dry the potatoes then prick them all over with a fork.  Put them straight onto the oven shelf and bake for 45 mins – 1 hour.

2. Whilst the potatoes are cooking, gently soften the onion in a little olive oil for about 10 minutes. 

3. Take the potatoes out of the oven and either cut in half or cut a small hole (big enough for a spoon) in the top, keeping the ‘lid’ for later.  Carefully scoop out the potato without breaking the skin and place it in a bowl (use oven gloves when you do this).  Put the skins to one side.

4. Put the onion, crème fraiche and most of the cheese into the bowl with the potato and mash it all together with a fork.  Add a little milk to thin the mixture if you want to and some salt and pepper.

5. Put the potato mix back into the skins, sprinkle the rest of the cheese over the top and put the ‘lid’ back on if you have kept your potato whole.  Put them on a baking tray and back in the oven for 5 minutes until the cheese has melted.


I can’t really give these potatoes a score, even though they are delicious. As I mentioned, this is a complete cheat and Oscar hasn’t been anywhere near them.  I really don’t know why he won’t eat a potato when he’ll quite happily gobble down a huge lump of blue play-doh as he did last week!  ‘Oscar, where’s the play-doh gone?’, ‘In Oscar’s tummy, Mummy’….of course.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...